It’s one of the brightest and sweetest times of the year. Spring is here and that’s a fantastic reason to celebrate surrounded by delicious food, fresh flowers and the (furry) family you care about most!
But some of the things that make Easter so great for many of us can be very dangerous for our pets. Here are some tips to keeping your furbabies safely well fed this holiday weekend.
Avoid These 5 Potentially Toxic Foods
Hunting for hidden chocolate Easter eggs around your house can be so much fun for kids. But it could be a recipe for disaster for your pets.
Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical that’s toxic to dogs and cats.
If you’re doing a chocolate Easter egg hunt, be sure to hide them where your pets can’t reach them. If you’re concerned your dog or cat did manage to get his paws on some chocolate, watch for these signs of chocolate poisoning:
Worsening symptoms may progress to:
- frequent urination
- uncoordinated “clumsy” behaviour
In severe cases, pets may experience:
- a racing, slow or irregular heart rhythm
- rapid breathing
- a bluish tint to the skin, gums or tongue (caused by lack of oxygen)
- high or low blood pressure
Chocolate toxicity can be fatal to your pets. Keep those treats up and out of reach!
Sometimes called sugar alcohol, xylitol is a natural, sugar-free sweetener found in candies, mints, gum, baked goods, and some brands of peanut butter and other sweets.
It’s also used as a sweetener or emulsifier in non-food products like mouthwash, toothpaste, cough syrup, shaving creams and lotions.
While xylitol may be not dangerous for cats, it can cause severe damage to your…