You love your pets. We do too. We talk to pets like they’re human, we love them like they’re human, and sometimes we want to feed them like they’re human. But here’s the deal … they’re not human.
Pets have very different digestive systems than humans. What may be a delicious treat for you may be extremely dangerous (if not fatal) to your pet.
Today we’ll talk about all kinds of potentially dangerous foods you should NOT feed your pets, no matter how tempting. It’s a pretty extensive list, so let’s dive right in.
Fruits & Veggies
Before we dive into all the fruits and veggies your pets can and can’t eat, we should mention that many of the seeds and/or pits can be dangerous when consumed. That’s because many of them contain cyanide. Yes, poison. They can also have sharp, jagged edges that can get lodged in the digestive tract causing a dangerous obstruction.
Be careful your pet doesn’t eat the seeds or pits of:
Grapes & Raisins
Grapes (and their dried up version, raisins) contain a toxic substance. Unfortunately, we can’t be more specific than that because experts don’t know precisely what it is that causes the toxicity. What we do know is that pets tend to get sick after eating grapes or raisins. In some cases, it can trigger acute (sudden) kidney failure and even death.
These are bad for you and your pets. Rhubarb leaves contain high levels of oxalic acid, aka oxalate. Oxalate is expelled through urine, but when there’s too much oxalate in the body, it can accumulate and cause calcium oxalate crystals in the organs. In the kidneys, for example, painful stones may begin to form, which can lead to kidney failure.
Symptoms of mild rhubarb leaf poisoning may include vomiting and/or diarrhea that should only last a few hours. More serious toxicity may cause your pet to have difficulty swallowing, nausea, tummy pain…